Monday, June 26, 2006

Poem From A State Employee

Last night while I lay sleeping,
I died, or so it seems.
Then I went up to Heaven
But ‘t was only in my dreams.

But, it seems St. Peter met me,
There at the Pearly Gate.
He said, “I must check your record
So stand right here and wait.

He returned and said, “Your record
Is clouded up with flaws.”
But on earth I see you labored,
For a very worth cause

You fought snow and ice in the winter
And sweated in the summer heat.
You couldn’t afford a big meal
When you stopped for a bite to eat.

I see where you drank whiskey,
And used tobacco too.
Fact is you’ve done lots of things,
That a good woman shouldn’t do.

We can’t have women like you up here,
Your life was full of sin.
Then he read the last of my record,
Grasped my hand and said, “Come on in.”

He took me up to the Big Boss.
Said, “Take her in and treat her well.
She worked for the State of Texas, Sir.
She’s had her share of hell.”

*****************

Note from Blogger:
I don't know who wrote this, but I love it! I wanted to share this with all of you. I hope the author does not mind, and if he/she is reading this, if you aren't afraid of being "identified", feel free to leave your name. Or not, as you wish. Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love it!!!!!